Taking a Photo of Your Check for Mobile Deposit
Mobile Deposit for iPhone, iPad and Android makes it convenient to deposit checks from your smart phone or tablet.
Here are some helpful hints to make taking a photo of your check simple and successful.
- Hold your phone or tablet steady when you take the photo of your check.
- Take the photo in a well-lit area.
- Make sure that there are no shadows in the photo of the check. Before you take the photo, look at the image within the App. If you see any shadows, then move to a brighter location and take the photo again.
- Make sure that your fingers are not in the way of the camera lens.
- Make sure that the phone or tablet camera lens is not scratched.
- Make sure that the phone or tablet camera is a least two mega-pixels.
- Hold the camera directly above the check. Do not take the photo at an angle.
- Place the check on a flat, dark, single colored non-reflective surface. Placing the check on a busy background such as a newspaper, may cause the image to be unreadable.
- If the check is wrinkled, folded, or the corners are bent, try to straighten it out as much as possible before taking the photo.
- Certain check designs may not image properly. Dark colored checks, cartoon animated or busy backgrounds can all cause problems.
- Endorse the check with either black or blue ink; if the ink is light or does not provide enough contrast with the check background, then the image may not be readable. Note: gel pen ink can sometimes cause problems with readability.
- Make sure that all four corners of your check are inside the guidance lines. The check must be as close to the guidance lines as possible. The check image must fill the box.
- Make sure that you have properly endorsed the check. If the check is payable to two or more individuals, both or all individuals must endorse the check and the term for “via Mobile Deposit” must be on the back of the check near the endorsement(s).
- Mobile Deposit is not allowed for travelers checks, savings bonds, money orders, or postal money orders.